Be Realistic on your 4 x 4 Overland Adventure
4 x 4 Overland Adventure
Be realistic ! I base the following comments on actual experiences the past two months, This may assist you in preparing you for your 4×4 Overland Adventure !
- Day 1. Do not drive more than 400km.
If your plane is delayed, or we need to assist you with anything before your depart you will not have enough time to drive more than 400km. Do not put yourself ( and ultimately me ) under unrealistic pressure. I have seen to many clients who arrived delayed and then want me to skip the hand over of the 4×4 and just basically give them the keys. NO.
- Leave enough time for shopping to stock up for you 4×4 Overland Adventure.
It does not take 30 minutes to complete your shopping before setting off on your 4×4 adventure. On average I see clients take 90 to 120 minutes ( How do I know? I satellite track the vehicles on how long they stop at the mall ).
- Assistance while on the road is provided by 24 hour phone.
This number is supplied to you when we hand over the 4×4 to you. A 24 hour number does not mean we I can do 24 hours a day any of the following :
- Supply Tyres – We are bound by service providers and their shop hours. Unfortunately I cannot get a tyre shop to open on a Sunday afternoon.
- Auto Electrician to come to you in remote locations. You need to go to them.
- Bring you replacement equipment. Yes, your fridge may stop working. no it does not mean I will drive 1200km to bring you a replacement the next morning. I will attend to it at the next town at a service provider. See point point 3.
When we hand over the 4×4 to you
We take you through everything ( I do not take 90 minutes to hand over a vehicle just to waste your time ). Please take the time to pay attention ( some clients are half a sleep and I am sure they cannot remember much ) and check the items / equipment with us. We do not deliberately forget to pack equipment. We are also human and can forget to pack something you requeste and will gladly add as needed !
Make sure you know how to operate your 4×4.
I recently had a client that complained bitterly that the aircon did not work on their trip. She did not switch it on. You need to be able to do the following :
- Know how to operate your fridge
- Change a tyre
- Check fuses
- Operate High and Low Range
- Operate Diff Lock – Recently had a client that within 30 minutes of receiving their Land Cruiser broke the diff lock and left me with a 30k repair bill – not fun.
6. READ YOUR CONTRACT – I take great effort in posting my rental contract on my website and add explanation notes. It clearly states whet I will do and when. Do not try and get me afterwards to give in to your demands. EG – Pay for your accommodation if there has been a delay on your trip. That is what travel insurance is for.
If you need details please contact me and I will gladly take the time to explain, in detail, what I do and do not do.
7. Most important.
I treat you with respect and I speak to you properly. If that cannot be returned, I walk away and will refuse to communicate with you any further.
Thanks for taking the time to read this article. As always I state it as it is. NO sugar coating. Hope it helps !
South Africa – Actually, mostly Africa !